Here are some fantastic shoe storage solutions and decluttering strategies! I love shoes, and I love organizing...I love organizing shoes!
One of my weaknesses is shoes. Yes, I am a professional organizer, but I'm also human (and female)! I find really cute shoes at bargain prices...honestly, they find me. :)
I have found some creative ways to store shoes even in small spaces, and I've shared them below. Enjoy!
The following shoe storage solutions will help clear the closet clutter, ensure that you can find what you need when you need it, and keep your footwear in better condition.
Who wouldn't want that?!
Utilize the general organizing procedure of purge, sort and store and use it for shoe organization.
• Pick up ONE pair of shoes at a time and decide if it is worth keeping. In order to accomplish this, ask yourself appropriate questions (Do I still wear these? Are they in good condition? Are they still in style?).
• As you make decisions, put the item in the corresponding pile, bag or box - Keep, Donate, Trash. **Don't forget to record your donations for tax purposes.**
• Take out the trash, and put the donations in your car. This hinders the possibility of undoing your hard shoe organizing work.
• Now that you have gotten rid of all the unnecessary and
unwanted shoes, the focus is on what's left. Divide up what remains into
categories - like goes with like (i.e. sandals, boots, sneakers).
• If you have enough room in your clothing closet to hold all of your shoes, then great! If not, think about utilizing other spaces like underneath your bed or in the entryway.
• Another option, if you're short on space, is to put your out-of-season shoes (like winter boots) in another room like the basement, attic or garage.
• Check out the products I've suggested at the bottom of the page for organizing shoes like an open canvas bin like the one I use in the photo below to hold my sandals.
• Get into the habit of putting away your shoes every day and promote this behavior to others in your household. This keeps your home more organized and clean as well as prevents catastrophes like the dog getting a hold of your nice black stilettos.
• Another idea that I consider every time I buy a pair of shoes is whether or not I have a pair like it. If I do, I'll think twice about spending the money and allowing more stuff into my life. If I don't, I'll pick out a pair of shoes to give away when I get home, so that my purchase REPLACES instead of ADDS TO.