Organizing Your Life - Frequently Asked Questions About Organizing
**This post may contain affiliate links. This means if you click on the link and purchase
Wondering about organizing your life?
Below you'll find some general frequently asked questions about
organizing. Please feel free to contact us if your question is not
answered here or anywhere else on the site.
Check out my latest book and bust through that procrastination! Available as a paperback, an audiobook and an ebook on Kindle but NO KINDLE NECESSARY. Enjoy!
How do I know if I need to get organized?
- Do you have trouble locating items?
- Do you purchase multiples of the
same item because you can't locate the one you previously bought?
there areas in your home or office that you avoid?
- Is clutter preventing
you from cleaning?
- Do you avoid having people over?
Answering yes to any of these questions is a good indicator that it is time to get organized.
There are many reasons why you should organize your life. By being organized, you have the opportunity to:
- save time
- save money
- increase efficiency
- teach your kids how to be organized
- accomplish more
- be happier!
Still not convinced? Check out these CRAZY ORGANIZING STATISTICS!
I want to get organized. Where do I start?
This is one of the most frequently asked questions about organizing that I get. The answer is it all depends on you. I know that sound so unhelpful, but here's what to do...
Write down the areas in which you
need organizing help, and then put them in order of priority. Start with
the first one. Do some research, seek support from family and friends,
and if necessary, call a professional.
Here's more on where to start organizing.
How long does it take to get organized?
There is getting organized (complete reorganization) and there
is staying organized (maintenance). Either way, it all depends on you.
- how long it takes you to make decisions (i.e. keep or donate?)
- if you are willing to let things go (i.e. no need to keep grocery receipts from last year)
- how easily you can adopt new habits (i.e. going through the mail as soon as it comes)
Organization requires regular maintenance.
Let's say you spend 5 hours organizing your closet, and it's now in tip
top shape. Maintaining this order means that you are putting things back
in their proper places on a daily basis and getting rid of items every
few months or so. Hence, committing to this regular maintenance could
mean that staying organized takes 5 minutes. Ooh how lovely!
How do I know if I need a professional organizer?
There are a few indicators. A professional is helpful and probably necessary if...
- you know you need organizing assistance but don't know where or how to start.
- you've started several organizing projects and have trouble finishing them.
- you need the extra motivation and the nonjudgmental opinion and support an organizer can (and should) provide.
What is going green? How can I be more eco-friendly?
Click here for tips on how you can be more environmentally friendly. HINT: Organizing your life is one of them!
Have a question about organizing your life not answered here or anywhere on the site? Feel free to contact us We'd love to hear from you.