This is my first DIY home decor crafts project! IHeartOrganizing has a link party every month, and I decided to challenge myself to participate in April's - DIY organizing product.
While I love using old things in new ways and saving money rather than purchasing something, I was never much of a crafter that could make things from scratch. That being said, I've decided to jump in and my first dip into the DIY crafting pool was to makeover one of my existing organizing products rather than buying a new one.
I gave my office drawers a new, refreshed look using Washi tape. It was really easy and fun and was a great first DIY arts and crafts project. See the transformation photos below and enjoy!
These are my white IKEA Kassett desktop drawers that I've had for years. I store my office supplies in them like paper clips, stapler, binder clips and so on. They've been fantastic, but it's time for a makeover.
They are white so while they do have a clean look, they've gotten a little banged up over the years.
White shows everything, so below you can see a pen mark that I couldn't get off without ruining the cardboard.
And then there was the time I spilled my coffee all over my office. I don't even know how it happened, but it looked like a toddler came in and sprayed chocolate milk out of a squirt gun at everything in sight.
In the below photo, you can see remnants of this catastrophic event.
Alright, so I've established that these organizing drawers needed a new look. I took out the drawers, so that it was just the empty shell.
I started by wrapping the shell with one long piece of the blue chevron Washi crafting tape (made by Recollections) that I had purchased from Michaels for $4.99.
Okay, looking good! I continued one long piece of tape at a time, lining up the pattern as I went...
...until the entire thing was wrapped. So pretty!
Then I carefully matched the pattern and covered the front edges.
Next, on to the drawers. I thought it would be funky if the pattern on the tape on the drawers themselves went in a different direction. As you can see, I taped the drawers vertically rather than horizontally.
One drawer down, one to go!
This is what the office drawers looked like when I was done taping. It looked fabulous but something wasn't quite there...the labels. They were also a bit weathered and showed remnants of the catastrophic coffee event, so I freshened them up too.
I simply opened up a blank MS Word document, typed the words I wanted on the labels, adjusted the size, made the letters red and printed them out on regular paper. Then I cut them out and put them in the label holders. Voila!
Here's a close up. Oooh! I love it!
This is what they look like from the front.
Finally, let's do a little before and after comparison of this DIY home decor crafts project.
What a difference! And it was so easy, so inexpensive and so fun. Hail to the DIY home decor crafts!
Now that my work area has had a face lift, productivity and inspiration have also increased. Fantastic!
I have a feeling this is just the beginning of my DIY crafts projects now that I've had a little taste of this world. Rock on. Until the next DIY adventure, I leave you with some easy ways to save money. Cheers!