Legos, stuffed animals, books galore?! Organizing toys is essential to parent, child, home and happiness!
With toy organization comes...
How nice and what a pretty picture that paints in my mind!
Now imagine the opposite...stress, clutter, piles, tension, mounds, yelling, overwhelming, chaos, ahhhh! Need I say more?
The following tips on organizing toys will lead you to clutter-free heaven. Enjoy!
**The best way to keep your kids organized is to get them in the habit of putting things away early!**
Utilize the general organizing procedure
of purge, sort and store, and apply it when organizing toys.
• Start by going through their items WITH THEM.
• Depending on your situation, either decide what to keep and what to discard or help them do it. In order to do this, ask appropriate questions (i.e. Have they outgrown it? Do they still play with it? Are the pieces missing? Is it broken?).
• As you make decisions, put the item in the corresponding pile, bag or box - Keep, Donate, Distribute, Trash.
**Make a "maybe" pile if there are items that they really don't use but aren't quite ready to give away. Put this stuff in a box or bin and store it in another room (i.e. basement or attic). If they don't request any of the items within 6 months, the box can go straight to a charity.**
• Take out the trash for a clean work area. Put the items going to a charity in your car. This avoids any undoing of your hard toy organizing work.
• Now that all of the unnecessary items are gone, separate what's
left into categories (i.e. board games, books, stuffed animals, etc.).
• Put the categorized items away accordingly (books on a bookshelf, stuffed animals in a bin, etc.).
• Check out the recommended products for organizing toys below!
• The best way to get your kids in the habit of something is to teach it to them early and make it part of their daily routine (i.e. put toys away when done playing with them).
• At least once a year, do a toy purging session with your kids. Doing this around the holidays is a perfect reason to get them motivated to do so...they will be getting more toys and giving stuff away promotes charity for those who are not as fortunate.
Organizing Tips for Specific Items
Baseball Caps, Hats, Etc.
Boots & Shoes
Coupons & Gift Cards
Greeting Cards - Storage
Greeting Cards - Displaying
Hats & Gloves
Mail (Junk Mail Removal)
Makeup Drawers (mine!)
Nail Polish Organizer (mine!)
Photos & Memorabilia
Photos: Hang A Gallery Wall
Shoes & Boots
Vitamins & Supplements