Looking for living room ideas? Check out these simple tips on getting organized and living room furniture layout!
The living room is one of the most used areas of the house, and it's perfectly normal for it to become a dumping ground.
Life happens, so let's embrace it. The following living room ideas will help with arranging and organizing your living room as well as some advice for maintaining order. Enjoy!
The first step in getting organized is to look at your living room furniture arrangement.
Is it working?
Have you considered the location of permanent fixtures like a fireplace?
Does the traffic flow smoothly in and out of this space?
Does each piece of furniture have a purpose in this area?
The above photo is my living room furniture design. This is how we figured out where to put each piece of furniture...
The first things we had to take into account when we placed the furniture were the fireplace and the sliding door to the balcony since those were permanent fixtures. We didn't want to put the tv over the fireplace, so it had to be against the only wall available.
From there we only had one placement option for the sectional sofa to face the tv and the fireplace, so that's what you see in the photo above.
Utilize the general organizing procedure of purge, sort and store, and apply it to organize your living room.
• Once the furniture is set and you have your living room layout, start by going through the items in your living room. Pick up one item at a time and decide if it is worth keeping.
• In order to do this, ask yourself appropriate questions (i.e. Have I read this magazine or newspaper? Is this pillow ripped or stained? Does this game get played?).
Take out the trash, put the donations in your car and distribute the items around the house. The distribution of items around the house is important to organize the living room, especially with multiple family members; ONE OF THE MOST IMPORTANT LIVING ROOM IDEAS IS TO ONLY KEEP THINGS IN THE LIVING ROOM THAT ARE USED IN THE LIVING ROOM. Rid this dumping ground of excess clutter and you'll see a
huge, immediate difference!
• Now that you've gotten rid of the unnecessary
items, separate what's left into categories (i.e. Movies, Music, Books, Magazines & Newspapers, Games and so on). This way you can see what and how much you have.
• Living rooms can be, and often are, multipurpose areas. Be sure to have living room furniture that looks good but also can be used for storage. This helps reduce unsightly clutter.
We use the drawers of our coffee table to store remotes, coasters and other small items we use in the living room. The bamboo basket underneath is for current books, magazines and catalogs.
• Use an entertainment center with shelves and drawers to hold your television equipment along with movies, games and music.
This is our entertainment center. On the shelves on the right is the equipment such as the cable box, receiver, dvd player and Wii. The drawers on the left hold DVDs, games and other accompanying accessories.
• Any other items that get used in the living room but do not have homes in the storage furniture (i.e. toys) can be contained in baskets with lids.
• See below for more recommended products!
• Since the living room is a frequently-used area and it accumulates clutter on a daily basis, I have found it beneficial to clean it up every day. I take a few minutes out of my morning routine to fold blankets, straighten pillows, and distribute items around the house. This small daily routine is a tremendous help for maintaining order.
• Get the
family involved. Everyone uses the living room, so each family member
should be responsible for removing their personal items from this area
on a regular basis as well. This keeps order as well as instills great
• Once a year or so, do a living room purge session to get rid of anything no longer necessary (i.e. DVD cases missing the DVDs, CDs that have been converted to digital files, etc.).
Home Organization Topics:
Baby's Room - Setting Up
Baby's Room - Music Festival Theme
Baby's Room - Dresser Drawers
>Guest Bathroom Cabinet
Bedroom - Cleaning Out
Bedroom - Maintaining
Bedroom - Setting Up
>Closet Organizing Process
>Closet - Hard Decisions
>Closet - Top 3 Products
>Closet Organizers To Assemble
>Closet Organizing Systems
>Pinterest - Wardrobe Organizer
>Pantry - Organizing Process
>Pantry - 5 Tips
>Refrigerator - Decluttering
>Refrigerator - 5 Secrets
>Under Sink Storage
Other Home Tips
Specific Items (i.e. Mail)
Top 5 Home Organizing Tips
Where Everything Belongs