Is your CD collection out of control? Here are some great CD storage solutions like CD storage containers and more!
From large to small, I've organized many CD collections for my clients and thought this is some great info that I want to share with my readers. Here's how to do it as well as a variety of storage solution options for you to choose from. Hope this helps and inspires you; happy reading!
There are so many CD storage containers and this is one of them! These are the CDs I access the most, and I just love this cube from The Container Store.
Utilize the general organizing procedure
of purge, sort and store, and apply it to organize CDs.
• Start by gathering all of your CDs and CD storage containers. Go through them ONE item at a time. Pick up each CD and decide if it is worth keeping. In order to accomplish this, ask yourself appropriate questions (i.e. Is this CD in usable condition? Is it scratched? Am I going to listen to it again?)
• If you have a large CD collection, then it might be a good idea to combine the Purge and Sort steps of the organizing process. Thus, if you decide to keep something then take it one step further and put it into a category that makes sense to you (i.e. by genre, by artist name).
• As you make decisions, put the book in the corresponding pile, bag or box (with the corresponding CD case if you have it) - Keep, Donate or Distribute (to a charity or someone you know if the CD works but you don't want it), Recycle/Trash. **Don't forget to record your donations for tax purposes.**
• Take out the trash and put the donations in your car. Also, contain any CDs for distribution to others in a bag or box and put them in a place where you will see them and remember to give them out (i.e. by the back door). This hinders the possibility of undoing your hard CD organizing work.
• Now that you've gotten rid of all the CDs you no longer want, it's time to focus
on what's left. Sort them into categories that make sense to you, so you can find them later effortlessly (i.e. by genre, by artist).
There are TONS of CD storage solutions to store your CDs in an organized way, so let's get creative! Photos of all the products I detail here are at the bottom of the page.
• If you're CD collection is small (like mine), there are CD storage solutions like awesome boxes and baskets made just for holding CDs in their cases (like the cube I use in my photo above). If your CD collection is a little larger than mine, you could get stackable CD storage products.
• If you really want to get crazy :), then get rid of the physical CDs altogether by transferring the music onto a computer or an external hard drive using a program like iTunes or another MP3 CD organizer like Movienizer.
• The best way to keep your organized CD collection in order is to put them back after use. If you're going to pull one out, then take an extra 5 seconds to also put one back in. It takes so little time and will save you hours in the long run.
• Once a year, go through your CDs and weed out any that no longer work, you no longer want, etc.
Organizing Tips for Specific Items
Baseball Caps, Hats, Etc.
Boots & Shoes
Coupons & Gift Cards
Greeting Cards - Storage
Greeting Cards - Displaying
Hats & Gloves
Mail (Junk Mail Removal)
Makeup Drawers (mine!)
Nail Polish Organizer (mine!)
Photos & Memorabilia
Photos: Hang A Gallery Wall
Shoes & Boots
Vitamins & Supplements